Re: Sentients As Temporary Variables

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 21:05:01 MST

In a message dated 3/21/2001 10:45:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
durant@ilm.com writes:

<< (Imagine what will happen when the Mormons upload...and if they each
 upload with 2 uplifted rabbits which are each residing in yards with 2
 tribbles... :) (please note: I have nothing against Mormons, rabbits,
 yards or tribbles)) >>
Sounds like check-in time at Hilbert's Hotel

<<If you had created me as a simulation, you could not (as in "would not
be able to") hurt me because the Sysop will prevent it. So if you keep
creating sentient beings which you cannot erase, at some point you
might run into resource problems, yes? Have I made the problem clear?
There are obvious solutions: each new sentience must have a guaranteed
amount of computational resources to pursue, life, liberty and
happiness, blah, blah, blah. >>

To become the Primary Sysop, one would have to technologically be able to
manipulate all varients of phase space, although a local-universe Sysop would
do nicely for our purposes.

<<If Friendliness protects all sentients, simulated or otherwise, then
the world as we live in it now, cannot be a simulation run under the
rules of Friendliness...or that is one conclusion anyway. I thought I
could bring together the ideas of being in a simulation with our
notion of Friendliness. When I did, I found a big conflict which
surprised me.>>

Let's not make what is "perfection" the antagonist of what is vastly, better,
then what seems to exist currently. Setting painlessness as a paradigm is not
exactly the the royal route to the pits of hell.