Re: "all your base" - distress call, or attack?

From: Mitchell Porter (you_have_some_sort_of_bug@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 16:01:20 MST

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
wrote:
> "All your base are
> belong to us" may not
> be a superintelligent attack, but it's a
> demonstration that ASCII text can
> affect us in very peculiar ways.

There was a multimedia "seed" here (the Zero Wing
game, or the Flash parody), and I doubt that AYBABTU
would have grown into the meme it is today without
a core group of enthusiastic hosts for whom those
extra bits made all the difference. Now that it's
achieving celebrity, it can survive just through
repetition and mutation, but I don't think those
thirty bytes would have survived in the wild by
themselves.

I think the ideal medium for superintelligent
attack would be a cross between AYBABTU and
ILOVEYOU, combining virulent memes and trojan
code. Otherwise you (the infiltrating SI) have
to hope that your goal will be achieved by human
hands alone.