Re: Envisioning sysop scenarios Re: Universal Uplift as an alternative to the Sysop scenario

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 12:50:09 MST

At 1:48 PM -0500 3/21/01, Brian Atkins wrote:
> > If we can have faith in one SI doing the right thing, why not in
>more than one? The Friendliness attractor that keeps a 'SysOp' SI on
>the right path will also keep other SIs on the right path too. If a
>second intelligence can clearly demonstrate it's mind is Friendly,
>then I see no reason why the first should have to baby-sit the
>other. It's a mature intelligence - it won't *want* to do anything
>evil.
>
>Right I agree that if a SI can prove itself friendly somehow then there
>should be no need to monitor it.

What about an SI that just makes everyone think that it is Friendly?
Such a situation would be dangerous because an un Friendly SI could
slip thorough and do something horrible, because all that there would
be to stop ver are Friendly SIs who wouldn't hurt a fly in VR. It is
going to take un Friendly SIs to stop un Friendly SIs who manage to
escape the control of a Sysop.

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/