Re: Teraflops consumer chips by 2006

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 11:38:31 MST

Dale Johnstone wrote:

> BTW don't forget, this is in the context of AI - linear improvements
> can lead to exponential returns. They don't call it a Singularity for
> nothing! :)

Yeah, but *that's* not automatic. It only works if you *already* *have* a
self-modifying AI - and one that's not in the middle of a bottleneck;
otherwise it just does nothing faster. I suppose that compressing the RAM
might be OK if it were totally transparent to the programmer, and I'm sure
that seed AIs past the self-optimizing compiler stage will think
pre-compressed thoughts, but aside from that, I think I'm basically in
agreement with James Rogers; performance tuning is an addictive,
distracting, and self-indulgent habit (yes, I had it too).