RE: The Singularity and the quantum mind

From: Patrick McCuller (patrick@kia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 10:31:14 MST

> Finally I'll reiterate from previous messages my basic attitude towards
> quantum computing and the mind.
> My guess is that quantum computing is not necessary for consciousness and
> real AI. It surely would be a useful
> tool for mind-building, but is probably not a necessary one. Whether the
> brain uses this particular tool or not is
> unknown, and I don't have a strong intuition about it.

        I do have a strong intuition about it, and I think it's nonsense. We're
making good progress in understanding how mind works, and so far there is
absolutely nothing to indicate we need this idea of quantum consciousness. As
far as I'm concerned, this is a spooky hand theory. It tries to explain by
obscuring, a technique used for millenia by priests and mystics and it never
got us anything good so far.

        Of course that's just my opinion. :)

Patrick