Re: Event horizon & Moravec

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 19:24:49 MST

Spudboy100@aol.com wrote:

> <<In practice it takes considerably advanced and
> copious hardware to simulate biological systems fully down to the
> cellular level or anywhere close. Perhaps I am missing something.
>
> - samantha>>
>
> Dr. Moravec believes that technology for computation and robotics will increase exponentially over the next milenium, and thus the capability to emulate phyiscal and biological functions will therefore become available
> to SI's.
>
> In his work Forever, For All, Dr. R. Michael Perry,(Phd. Computer Science) discusses the utility of phase conservation, a process that Perry describes as (I am paraphrasing) 'storing information of physical interactions on photons. As unlikely as this sort of technology sounds, it is a decent bet (as we understand quantum theories) for recovering the past. It need not be our generation or species that accomplishes this. But, for me, Perry and Moravec over intellectual stimualtion and hope.

samantha:
On re-reading Moravec today I see that his calcuations were based on
storing informaiton in the photon equivalents of all the relative matter
or going to the theoretical sublevels of matter below quarks. While
this is certainly interesting and a set of ideas I have played with
myself as a future (very long term) possibility, it is not something I
personally bank on. I do not require it in order to have hope. What is
very likely within the next few decades is more than sufficient for
that. YMMV.

- samantha