RE: Beyond evolution

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 11:18:49 MST

I think you sell evolution short... it's a much more general and powerful
process than you
give it credit for

I tend to buy into those theories of the origins of the universe, like John
Wheeler's, which argue
that in the early universe, physical law itself evolved...

Furthermore, I believe that complex high-level cognition is ITSELF
intrinsically evolutionary.

This is a technical point that is at the fore of our AI development within
Webmind Inc. at this
exact moment. We have some nice higher-order inference going on, but, the
key issue is cognition
control. How, in practice, to control the direction of inference, when
applied to complex tasks like
learning schema for acting or language processing, etc.? The heuristics
found in the standard AI
literature just don't work in practice. Evolution, I submit, is the only
effective method for
general cognition control. Evolution forms complex logical relations and
then higher-order inference
verifies their utility or lack thereof. I don't have a mathematical proof
that this is the only effective
way to do things -- so I could be wrong. But
no one has ever found another way, in their theoretical or practical AI
work. And there is much
evidence that the human brain is itself evolutionary (see Edelman's work on
Neural Darwinism; earlier
work by neuroscientists like Vernon Mountcastle and Szentogothai)

-- ben