Cosmic insanity

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@intelligenesis.net)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 06:15:00 MST

> This is a question more for the future. But if somebody gets
> uploaded, and
> stays inside their fantasy world, will not insanity result? Is
> this why there
> have been no repeated "signals" seti-wise.

Our concept of "insanity" is not applicable to this kind of scenario.
It is too bound to body-bound psychology and culture.

In the scenario that you describe, the boundary between mind and reality
as we conceive them is no longer strictly present. A more fluid
mind-reality-encompassing
self-organizing metasystem will emerge. From our point of view perhaps this
is
"insanity" -- even more so than, from a Stone Age culture's point of view,
the life of
a modern New Yorker is insanity.... But I can't see how we have the
knowledge
or intuition to make a value judgment about a future order of being like
this...

ben