Re: the 69 of us

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 10:57:58 MST

Definitely NOT a hardware guy.
(I was burned by a soldering iron when I was little.)

On the more serious side, I don't think the soldering iron had anything to do
with it; however, it is true that when it comes time to open up a computer, I
tend to leave it to other people. The closest I come to hammer and
screwdriver is in assembling furniture, and recently in a couple of minor home
repairs, but that's it. I would need a really good reason before I cracked
open any piece of machinery more complex than a simple pulley, much less an
integrated circuit board.

Tinkering with physical reality just doesn't give you that "high" of godlike
omnipotence that comes from writing code. I'll wait for nanotech, thanks.

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a
soldering iron, a hardware engineer with a software patch, and a user with an
idea."
        -- ??