Re: Introducing the Singularity

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:18:52 MST

Josh Yotty wrote:

> I have been having a very rough time introducing the singularity.

I've got an intro (admittedly targeted at grownups) at
http://intelligence.org/intro.html, and there's a printable version.

Incidentally, if at first you don't succeed - give up! You aren't going to
convert an entire high school away from media zombiehood just by wishing. If
you have somebody you particularly care about or who seems to be particularly
bright, it might be worth persisting - otherwise, you're just annoying them.
My own *parents*, Dr. and Dr. Yudkowsky, who are both longtime science fiction
fans, still aren't hip to the Singularity.

Try getting them to watch "The Matrix", or to read "Godel, Escher, Bach" or
"Permutation City". Remember, they have lives beyond the moment in which
you're trying to persuade them - choose methods that augment your audience
even if they don't believe you.