RE: upper theoretical limits

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@intelligenesis.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 19:54:59 MDT

> My guess is that about a terabyte of RAM is required to get human-level
> intelligence

Just to be clear, this is an order of magnitude figure only

For instance, Java programs tend to use substantially more memory than
memory optimized C programs carrying out the same function, by a factor that
is
hard to reduce below 2 even using extremely subtle engineering...

Philosophically, the main reason so much memory is needed is that a mind,
in order
to create new ways of doing things with reasonable rapidity, needs to
simultaneously
experiment with many different ways of doing things. I don't think there is
any
clever way around this. Mind either takes a lot of space or a lot of time,
and the
real-time-interactive nature of intelligence means that there's a limit to
how slow a
mind can be and still solve complex problems in complex environments.

ben g