Re: nagging questions

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 09:36:51 MDT

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> An interesting bit of reasoning. But is an AI singularity the least
> risky technological revolution?

Yes. Why? Because it negates the risks of the other technological
revolutions. If we did make it through nanotech okay, we'd then have to deal
with the AI revolution. As long as Earth remains free and alive, sooner or
later we're going to have to deal with the issue of AI. But if we make it
through building a Sysop, then we're safe from nanotech too, and almost
certainly all the other ultratechnologies out there.

Thus the path of AI first is the path of least risk.