RE: Re: [SL4] AI

From: Dale Johnstone (dalejohnstone@email.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:28:31 MDT

Eliezer wrote:
>Hugo de Garis claims to favor the cause of AI, yet goes around making
>fear-inducing statements about how "we need to consider where it will
>all end up". He doesn't say, for example, that Foresight has been
>busily thinking about where it will end up for the last fifteen
>years.
>It's not really very professional behavior for someone knowingly
>meddling in human destiny.

I feel you're being a little hard on Hugo de Garis. Many of us working on AI find ourselves questioning our basic motivations for doing AI in the light of what might happen if we succeed.
Given the seriousness of the issue and the fact that the world is almost completely oblivious to it, I don't blame him for making some noise about it.
Admittedly it's a paradoxical position to hold, but the singularity concept seems to have caught many of us unawares.

As for Foresight, I'm interested to see just what it has to show for 15 years of thought on AI? I don't see anything but nano subject matter.

Regards,
Dale Johnstone.

Save 75% on Products!
Find incredible deals on overstocked items with Free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4013/10/_/626675/_/958339713/