[SL4] JOIN: Dale Johnstone

From: DaleJohnstone@email.com
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 18:46:05 MST

From: DaleJohnstone@email.com

Ok, let's see if we can get the ball rolling here...

Hi, my name is Dale Johnstone, I'm a software developer from the UK. I've been programming for about 17 years. Worked mainly in the games industry, but I've always had my eye on AI.

A few years ago I came up with a design for an AI that could possibly end up triggering a singularity-type affair mentioned on Eliezers' web site.
It's been a frustrating time trying to find the time to build it and still make a living too.

I also have some serious ethical concerns regarding a possible military seizure of the project. I think a 'grey goo'-like situation is possible with AI, call it a 'chrome army' scenario if you like. Truely smart weapons would be truely terrifying, and probably unstoppable (with the exception of having a nanotech defence).

So as you can imagine I'm a little concerned at the idea of open source AI. This possible scenario is not mentioned anywhere on the website. As the #1 rule is 'Don't fry the planet' I think it deserves some attention.

Anybody care to JOIN in and comment?

Dale.

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.