Re: Separate Copies Contribute Separately to One's Runtime

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 10:24:03 MDT

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com> wrote:

> 1. You step into the booth in LA and are scanned.
> 2. The information is sent to New York, where, using
> different atoms, a duplicate you is created that is
> identical to the person (object) that was scanned
> 3. The LA original sees his duplicate in NY walk out
> of the NY booth, and knows that he-in-LA will be
> disintegrated in 30 seconds (after the transfer has
> been triple checked for validity).
> 4. The LA original sweats profusely if he's not up to
> speed on all this (IMO), because always before
> in his memory he walked out of the remote booth.
> 5. The LA original is disintegrated.

Of course if this is at the beginning of the movie, our protagonist in LA
will find a way to escape before step 5 and cause all kinds of mayhem in a
world where everyone has only one legal copy of themself. (I would wonder
if an archival backup would be strictly legal as an extreme form of life
insurance)