Re: Gender Neutral Pronouns, one last time

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 18:02:21 MDT

First, this whole argument that "it" must be dumb matter is silly. Please
point me to a definitive reference (dictionary, encyclopedia, "good"
English text, etc) that specifies this.

And if you really feel like pushing the issue, you may refer to me as IT as
much as you like. I'm not about to get offended by such matters.

Second, I believe Japenese has some concept of gender neutral. Actually, I
believe they may have 3 complete sub-dialects, one for male, one for female
and a third for non-gendered.

Third, if my "Chat Bot 3000" was running slow, I'd just say it was running
slow. Certainly it may be due to insufficient hardware, but it would still
be slow. We don't separate out human minds from the hardware they run
on. While the mind is running on the hardware they are, essentially, an
entity. It will obviously be easier to upgrade/change the hardware for
AIs, though.